Friday, May 29, 2015

Travel: Pike Place Market (Seattle, WA)

I'm long overdue on this post (and the posts that will follow). We went to Seattle for a quick 3 day weekend trip back in February (on Valentine's Day weekend) and had a great time there!

Our flight got in a little before noon, and we met up with one of my friends at Pike Place Market. I usually avoid super-crowded places like this while on vacation, but the potential for high quality noms won me over.



A beautiful, but crowded Saturday afternoon. Actually, it was Valentine's Day, now that I think about it!




Uli's Famous Sausage - I do love me some bratwurst, and I haven't really had any since we were on a trip in Germany years ago.


I'm ready.


Just gorgeous sausages. Absolutely delicious. Highly recommended! I am still thinking about these months later.


City Fish Market - It was a bit hard to find in the crowd, but it should have been easy: it's right under the "Public Market" sign (not the main Pike Place sign. The other one.)


Uni on the half shell - I'm not sure what kind of sea urchin this was, but it tasted very different from the kind we usually have at sushi.


Oyster shooters - 3 for $6. Very tasty.


Beecher's Handmade Cheese - Another stop on my "must-try" list.


Dat cheese! I loved seeing people's reactions to seeing this!


Mariachi Mac and Cheese (small): the sauce was delicious, but the pasta itself was a bit of a letdown. I wouldn't get this again.


Piroshky Piroshky - I wasn't sure I'd have the stomach space for a Piroshky, but my friend said it was a must, so I yielded. I'm not hard to convince to eat something delicious.


The line was really long, but it was worth the wait! We waited about 20 minutes.


The salmon pate piroshky was absolutely delicious! Really nice flavour - not too strong or fishy. Light tasting pastry.


Rachel's Ginger Beer - I got very thirsty at one point, and had read the great reviews for this place.


For whatever reason, the queue at Rachel's was the slowest moving. However, it was definitely worth the wait.


Very spicy and well worth the long wait. I've now become obsessed with finding a suitable ginger beer locally to have once a week.


Ellenos Greek Yogurt - I saved just a little bit of room in my tummy for dessert on our way out of the market.


A great selection of flavours! They let you sample.


Marionberry flavour in their small walk-around size. Extremely creamy and delicious. A real treat! I went with this flavour because I've never had marionberry before (a type of blackberry cultivated in Oregon).


Bottom Line: All in all, I had a terrific feeding session day at Pike Place Market. My top picks are Uli's and Rachel's, but I also really enjoyed Piroshky's and Ellenos. I didn't love Beecher's (although, I do want to try their cheese curd. You can take the girl out of Canada...), and while City Fish Market was nice, I'm not a huge oyster fan. I'd love to go back and try some other goodies at Pike Place Market again in the future!

Well played, Seattle. Well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment